Students at Davis Drive Elementary visit the school library with their class as part of their Specials rotation. During this 45-minute class time, students engage in lessons that help support the North Carolina Information and Technology Skills Essential Standards. Students at every grade level will learn how to conduct research, evaluate print and digital resources, use technology to create projects, and practice ethical digital citizenship. Students also have the opportunity to check out books for pleasure or research during their media time. Students are encouraged to visit the library to check out books any time throughout the school day with their teacher's permission.
- Kindergarteners - 1 book at a time
- 1st grade- 2 books at a time
- 2nd grade - 2 books at a time
- 3rd grade - 3 books at a time
- 4th grade - 4 books at a time
- 5th grade - 5 books at a time
All books are due fourteen schools days from the date of checkout. Students can bring books to the media center to be renewed or they can log into their Destiny Quest accounts to renew their own books. Students who have overdue books may check out additional books as long as they do not exceed their grade-level limit. For example, if a 5th grader has one overdue book, he or she may check out four new books, for a total of five books.
We do not assess fines for late books. However, we do ask that families pay for any lost or damaged materials. Before sending in payment for a book you believe to be lost, please make sure you look in some of these common places for lost library books:
- In your child's backpack, desk, or classroom cubby
- In your child's bookshelf at home
- Under beds and in closets
- In siblings' rooms
- In your car (e.g., backseat, seat pockets, under seats, trunk, etc.)
- At the public library
Looking for suggestions for good books for your child on their reading level? Check out these excellent resources from the Wake County Public Libraries:
Want to help our media program but don't have time to volunteer? Here is our Wish List of common needs:
- Barnes & Noble gift cards for books, eBooks, and magazines
- iTunes gift cards to purchase apps for our media center iPads
- Target and/or Amazon gift cards for games and book character stuffed animals
- A.C. Moore gift cards for makerspace supplies
Interested in volunteering in our media center? We'd love to have you join the team! Please complete the WCPSS Volunteer Registration at school and email Stephanie Fiedler at email@example.com to be put on the volunteer schedule. Welcome aboard!